Thursday, June 05, 2014

Past Perfect Simple

The past perfect simple expresses an action taking place before a certain time in the past.

FORM OF PAST PERFECT SIMPLE


Positive
Negative
Question
no differences
I had spoken.
I had not spoken.
Had I spoken?
For irregular verbs, use the past participle form . For regular verbs, just add ed.

Exceptions in Spelling when Adding ed

Exceptions in Spelling when Adding ed
Example
after final e, only add d
love – loved
final consonant after a short, stressed vowel
or l as final consonant after a vowel is doubled
admit – admitted
travel – travelled
final y after a consonant becomes i
hurry – hurried

USE OF PAST PERFECT

  • ACTION TAKING PLACE BEFORE A CERTAIN TIME IN THE PAST (PUTTING EMPHASIS ONLY ON THE FACT, NOT THE DURATION)

EXAMPLE: BEFORE I CAME HERE, I HAD SPOKEN TO JACK.

  • CONDITIONAL SENTENCES TYPE III (CONDITION THAT WAS NOT GIVEN IN THE PAST)

EXAMPLE: IF I HAD SEEN HIM, I WOULD HAVE TALKED TO HIM.

SIGNAL WORDS

already, just, never, not yet, once, until that day (with reference to the past, not the present)